Media and Entertainment
The Media and Entertainment industry is a rich and multifaceted market that comprises businesses engaged in the production and distribution of motion pictures, television programs and commercials, streaming content, music and audio content, broadcasting, radio, publishing, video games and related services and products. It can be partitioned into four main verticals: movie, music, book publishing and video games.
No matter the inner distinction, the whole industry was definitely one of the first to navigate and weather the digital disruption, and the transformation, which is far from over, is now experiencing new uncharted challenges forces – such as virtual reality and the output of artificial intelligence.
According to PWC “2018 Media & Entertainment Outlook,” in a world where the distinctions between print and digital, video games and sports, wireless and fixed Internet access, pay-TV and OTT, and social and traditional media are blurring, being able to have access to right technologies and premium content, and to deliver them in a cost-effective manner to an even larger and more diverse audience will be critical.
In this area our work involves legal concepts across multiple subject areas, including commercial and corporate law, M&A, intellectual property, litigation, employment law and tax, covering:
- Drafting and negotiating development and production/co-production contracts
- Drafting and negotiating publishing, management, distribution, merchandising, corporate sponsorship, licensing agreements
- Drafting and negotiating agreements for producers, director, casting director, executive producers or producer’s representative
- Drafting and negotiating agreements for performers
- Working on financing agreements for sponsorships, co-production lending and investments
- Drafting agreements on appearance releases, location releases as well as licenses of all kinds
- Authors and authorship
- Protecting IP rights
- Advising media and entertainment companies on their corporate and M&A activities
- All related litigation matters
- All related tax legislation, including tax incentives to the movie and performing arts industries
We have represented clients in many facets of the entertainment industry, including:
- Movie/TV production
- Digital publicity