Differently from other practice areas in the Firm, there is no rigidly defined professional practice called Litigation. Teams are often formed on a case-by-case basis from a broader pool of our lawyers in order to provide the optimum assistance, having regard to the nature and type of matter.
We assist, on a regular basis, a number of top international clients in major litigations. The most frequent industry sectors include luxury and fashion, pharmaceutical and life sciences, automotive, agri-food, insurance, IT services, project engineering, construction, leisure resorts, environmental and waste disposal services, property investment and energy and green energy sectors.
Our Litigation Team has always handled both domestic and international litigation, including multi-jurisdictional disputes, both civil and administrative in the following principal areas:
- Contractual and company law
- IP law
- Banking and corporate insolvency cases
- Directors’ liability, including connected criminal prosecutions and environmental proceedings
- Private and procedural international law
- Medical malpractice cases
- Mass debt recovery.
Our emphasis is on problem solving, avoiding resorting to the courts where possible by seeking early resolution of disputes through negotiation and mediation.
Our large Team of dedicated litigators have developed proven experience of multidisciplinary work, in coordination with criminal law counsel, foreign lawyers, technical experts and consultants.
- We combine a highly structured and accurate expertise in litigation with a deep understanding of the client’s business
- We have a track record of over forty years’ contentious work in Italy before all courts of all jurisdictions and instances, including the Supreme Court, the Council of State and the Constitutional Court
- We developed for decades specific capabilities and experience in multi-jurisdictional litigation, involving a variety of different legal system, countries, procedures, correspondents and colleagues of the work diverse cultures and legal traditions
- We built up a wealth of multi-disciplinary contentions experience, both, regularly working with the Firm’s an outside criminal lawyers, and collaborating with experts, expert witnesses, technical experts and forensic economists
- We can boast a specific and unfrequent ability to conduct litigation work in other languages, besides Italian, in particular, in English, French and Spanish.
A number of our litigators have an academic background, engage in teaching and lecturing activities and have authored legal texts.
WHAT DO OTHERS SAY ABOUT US
“De Berti Jacchia Franchini Forlani’s ‘available and competent’ team, which counts commercial and IP litigation as well as arbitration as particular strengths, has ‘excellent dispute capabilities at an international level’ and ‘stands out for its professional and ethical approach with both clients and adversary parties’. Litigation expert Maria Cristina Franchini, mediator Giovanni de Berti and ‘excellent arbitrator’ Michelangelo Cicogna head the practice. David Maria Santoro successfully represented state electricity company Servizio Elettrico Nazionale in a claim against the Italian state related to the reimbursement of favourable energy tariffs to several radio and TV broadcasting companies. With respect to arbitration, the team is acting as co-counsel in an ICSID arbitration against the State of Kuwait”. Legal500
“De Berti Jacchia Franchini Forlani provides ‘an outstanding service level’ in contentious matters and regularly represents multinational clients such as Derichebourg in commercial and administrative litigation and arbitration. ‘Experienced and skilled litigator’ Maria Cristina Franchini heads the practice”. Legal500
“De Berti Jacchia Franchini Forlani’s ‘very professional and effective’ department represents clients such as GlaxoSmithKline, Diesel and Italtel in commercial litigation and arbitration at domestic and international level. Silvia Doria and practice head Maria Cristina Franchini are recommended”. Legal500
“De Berti Jacchia Franchini Forlani has a strong contentious bent and represents clients such as Diesel, GlaxoSmithKline and Ikea in litigious and arbitral proceedings. Maria Cristina Franchini stands out for her ‘leadership and in-depth knowledge of law’”. Legal500